Emergency – If lives are at risk ring 999 at once.

Flood alerts Properties close to the Lune and other watercourses may be able to get flood alerts from the Enviroment Agency – Register here..

Residents can monitor online the River gauge at Caton.

For most of the area, surface water flooding is the main issue and at present there is no automatic warning system for surface water flooding.

Be prepared

Useful information from Lancashire County Council

Check your insurance, know what to take if you had to leave quickly, and consider buying protective equipment, such as Floodsax (from the Victoria Institute).

Above all, check your own house drains and ensure they are draining freely. Keep an eye on the road drains near you. Clear the surface if it is blocked with leaves and twigs and look through the grid to see if the drain is clear. If it is blocked contact Lancashire Council to get it cleaned out – this is best done on online.

Blocked sewers and water pipe bursts For blocked sewers or burst water pipes contact United Utilities on their 24/7 helplines 0345 672 3723 or 0345 672 2999.

Blocked roads For blocked roads ring Lancashire County Council on 0300 123 6786.

Street problems

Use FixMyStreet to report, view, or discuss local problems such as graffiti, fly tipping, broken paving slabs, or street lighting. Enter a nearby UK postcode, or street name and area and then click Go.


Gas leak – Call the National Gas Service Emergency Line on 0800 111 999 to report a suspected gas leak. They’ll sort out the problem and tell you what to do to stay safe.

Water leak – If you’ve spotted a leak (in the North West of England) coming from the road or footpath you can complete a form online or if you prefer you can call the Leakline on 0800 330033. You can check the status of water problems online http://www.unitedutilities.com/emergencies-incidents.aspx or call  0345 6723 723

Loss of electrical supply – call free on 105 to report power outages and get the latest status of a power cut. You can also register for text messages to advise you of power cuts and the ongoing status of a power cut. You can also check online – http://www.enwl.co.uk/power-cuts

TV & Radio Reception – use the Transmitter Checker at https://radioandtvhelp.co.uk to see if there are transmitter issues.

Crime & policing

To report a crime:-

  • If it is an emergency situation such as a life or death situation or the crime is in progress, dial 999;
  • If it is a non-emergency situation, you can report this by calling 101

Gritting and snow clearance

This is the responsibility of Lancashire County Council.  They provide, fill and repair grit bins as well as operating the gritting vehicles.  Also responsibile for snow clearance.  Report online or ring 0300 123 6780.

Refuse collection

Lancaster City Council are responsible for household waste and recycling. Details of household waste and recycling service, bin collection dates, missed bins, bulky waste, what you can recycle and where, and what to put in each of your bins can be  found on the Lancaster City Council website. 

Our local waste and recycling centres are at Keer Bridge north of Carnforth and at Salt Ayre and are run by Lancashire County Council.


Report pollution to the Environment Agency 24/7 helpline on 0800 80 70 60.  Take photos and collect evidence if it is safe to do so.

Other matters

The Parish Council works on your behalf. The Parish Clerk or a councillor may be able to assist with anything not previously mentioned.In an emergency